T: (01429) 523825


Private Fostering is a private agreement where a parent asks another adult to look after their child.  It is arranged and agreed by the child's parents and the person or family who will be caring for the child.

A private fostered child is a child under 16 (or under 18 if the child has a disability) cared for and living full time with someone other than:

  • a parent
  • a person who is not the parent but who has parental responsibility; or
  • a close relative (a close relative is a grandparent, brother, sister, uncle or aunt.  It does not include cousins, great grandparents or great uncles or aunt's).
  • for a period intended to last more than 28 days.

Private fostering arrangements are quite separate from arrangements made by local authority for ‘Children Looked After’ and living with Foster Carers.

The Children (Private Arrangements for Fostering) Regulations 2005 has reinforced the requirement laid down in the Children Act 1989 for people who are privately fostering to notify the local authority.

Common examples of Private Fostering are when a parent arranges for someone to care for their child, while they go away or to work, college, go into hospital or teenagers living with the family of a friend.


Who do I need to contact?

It is a legal requirement that the child's parents and the private foster carers must notify the arrangement to the local authority.  For further details please contact the Hartlepool and Stockton-on-Tees Children's Hub on 01429 284284

For further information please go to: